The CHICAGO INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY ALLIANCE is a group of organizations working together that
- PROMOTES Chicago as a vibrant center for the development and management of IP
- LINKS those with interests in intellectual property
- PROVIDES quality educational programs in IP
- HIGHLIGHTS regional expertise in intellectual property
- COMMUNICATES new developments in IP law and practice
- ENABLES access to and exchange with professionals in IP
- UNDERSCORES opportunities in the Chicago region in the IP arena
The Chicago Intellectual Property Alliance (CIPA) is a 501(c)(3) not for profit entity that identifies and promotes Chicago, the Midwest and its committed intellectual property practitioners, law schools, associations and businesses as the intellectual property center for new ideas, programs and education.
- Impact of Lexmark Case on Patent Exhaustion, 16 J. Marshall Rev. Intell. Prop. L. 487 (2017)
- Candidates Shouldn’t “Cruz” Through Political Campaigns: Why asking for permission to use music is becoming so important on the campaign trail, 16 J. Marshall Rev. Intell. Prop. L. 457 (2017)
- The Courts’ Interpretations of Legitimate Business Purposes, with Applications to Lexmark, 16 J. Marshall Rev. Intell. Prop. L. 411 (2017)
- Commercial Creations: The Role of End User License Agreements in Controlling the Exploitation of User Generated Content, 16 J. Marshall Rev. Intell. Prop. L. 382 (2017)
A timely analysis of McRO v. Bandai et al. just out from the Federal Circuit, by Ross Dannenberg, Aseet Patel and Peter Nigrelli at the Banner and Witkoff website.
IP around CHICAGO-LAND
John Marshall Law School hosts International Patent Prosecution and Practice Seminar on Thursday and Friday, 14 and 15 September 2017. This two-day comprehensive program is on prosecution and litigation under the PCT and EPC. Register.
On Thursday, 28 September 2016 Chicago-Kent College of Law hosts the 8th Annual Supreme Court IP Review Conference. The conference is designed to provide intellectual property practitioners, jurists, legal academics and law students with a review of IP cases from the U.S. Supreme Court’s previous Term, a preview of cases on the docket for the upcoming Term, and a discussion of cert. petitions to watch. The conference is approved for 5.75 hours of general MCLE credit in Illinois and Pennsylvania. Register.
CIPA and IPLAC are again partnering to sponsor CIPA’s annual Speed Mentoring Event on Monday, 2 October at Loyola Chicago School of Law. The mentoring portion of the program is 5:30-6:30 p.m. with a reception following at 6:30.
The Power of PTAB: The New Authority in Patent Law is a conference that will take place on Friday, 20 October 2017 at Chicago-Kent College of Law. It will feature leading academics, attorneys, and officials to examine that expanded role of PTAB in patent law. Registration will be available soon.
On Monday, 6 November 2017 CIPA is proud to be the Gold Sponsor of the inaugural IP Awareness Summit, the first conference to address the role of IP understanding–or lack of it–in innovation, ideas, and value creation. The conference is being put on by the Center for IP Understanding in conjunction with the IP Management and Markets Program located at Chicago-Kent College of Law. The event is by invitation only, highly interactive, and will allow maximum time for exchange among panelists and attendees.